Re: FP emulation patch available

To: Dominic Sweetman <>
Subject: Re: FP emulation patch available
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:35:17 +0100
Cc: "Andrew R. Baker" <>, Ralf Baechle <>, Harald Koerfgen <>,,, Linux SGI <>
Dominic Sweetman wrote:

> Andrew R. Baker ( writes:
> > ... It will also only handle operations that should produce an
> > unimplemented exception (this is not quite all of the fp ops).
> Denormalised operands (for example) will cause any computational
> operation to blow up (change sign, load, store and move will survive -
> can you think of much else?).  The requirement for MIPS hardware is
> something like "you can throw an unimplemented exception in response
> to any combination of operands and operation you don't like, so long
> as it's rare".  That's why a complete emulator is probably a good
> idea.
> Dominic Sweetman

OK, I'm convinced.  I believe I know how to make the Algorithmics
emulator SMP-safe *and* more efficient in the general case, thanks
in part to a suggestion from Ralf.  Time permitting, I will also wire it
up to the unimplemented operation handler.  Give me a week or so
to accumulate enough spare time...