Re: FP emulation patch available

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: FP emulation patch available
From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb@uab.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:50:46 -0600 (CST)
Cc: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>, Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-mips@fnet.fr, Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:33:02AM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
>
> > Does anyone out there actually need/want an SMP
> > version of the emulator?   It's not completely trivial,
> > but it would not be all that difficult to do...
>
> It should be fixed if it's going to be used as the base for the kernel
> fp support we need also for the Origins.

This should not be an issue for the design I am using for the hardware fp
support.  It will have a different entry point into the operation
emulation code that will use the hardware registers instead of the
software fpu struct.  It will also only handle operations that should
produce an unimplemented exception (this is not quite all of the fp ops).
Ralf, from discussing this with you earlier, this should be SMP safe, but
it should be checked anyway.  I will try and get some code out this week.

-Andrew