Re: Mips/Linux integration of latest GCC, Binutils & GLibc

To: Tim Wilkinson <tim@transvirtual.com>
Subject: Re: Mips/Linux integration of latest GCC, Binutils & GLibc
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:08:50 -0300
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, linux@engr.sgi.com
On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 08:55:17PM +0000, Tim Wilkinson wrote:

> Okay this makes sense.  This then means there's a problem with GLIBC since it
> excludes certain files when building a static library but unfortuantely
> needs them because it uses #ifdef PIC to include bits of code related to
> shared library workings (essentially it considers PIC to mean SHARED when
> this may not infact be the case - not for MIPS anyway).
>
> So what you're saying is pretty much how I have my gcc, binutils and glibc
> set up - I introduced a -DSHARED to glibc (which I suspect isn't really
> okay) when building shared libraries so static libraries didn't include
> the bad code.  I may look for a better solution however.

Indeed.  The problem is just that Ulrich drepper didn't accept such a patch
the last time I sent it to him.

> I've also made a bunch of elf related changes to mips/linux so that the
> assembler output from gcc is more like the elf output for the x86/linux
> targets.  It's interesting to note that mips/linux doesn't even defined
> linux for CPP (and doesn't do a bunch of other stuff either come to that)
> which confused things no end when compiling the linux kernel.

Go to oss.sgi.com and get /pub/linux/mips/src/egcs/egcs-1.0.3a-2.diff.gz
and integrate that with a current egcs.  This is what most people are
using and is known to work.  It generates assembler output that is known
to be working with binutils and even halfway human-readable as far as this
can be said from compiler output.  You'll also find binutils test patches
for more current releases there.