Re: FP emulation patch available

To: Dominic Sweetman <>
Subject: Re: FP emulation patch available
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:18:05 -0300
Cc: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <>, "Andrew R. Baker" <>, Linux SGI <>,,
On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 10:22:22AM +0000, Dominic Sweetman wrote:

> Bradley D. LaRonde ( writes (re the FPA emulator out of
> Algorithmics via Kevin Kissell):
> > I would jump right on this but I really need it for 2.3.47+.
> It's good to see our donation to the Linux project being taken up
> enthusiastically , but didn't SGI have some code like this?

They even have two emulators, an old one written in assembler and a newer
one written in C.  I haven't looked more closely but I think that they're
both full emulators and the (C) situation would allow me to reuse the
code for Linux.  In any case, it's a non-trivial piece of code, so I want
to double check with them.

> I mean, you can't have a serious MIPS run-time system without an FP
> emulator, can you?

Depends.  After a few years without this FPU stuff we've found only a
surprisingly small number of applications that run into problems.  After
all the only FPU instruction many programs execute is $fcr31.  Just
configuring all the kernel FPU code away therefore is a good thing
for many embedded configurations.