Re: Linux on O2?

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Linux on O2?
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:42:50 -0800 (PST)
Cc: brett <brett@madhouse.org>, Bruce Leggett <bleggett@sofamordanek.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
 > How about if myself and possibly others who currently are under NDA for SGI
 > would support such projects by describing things via email where
 > neither docs nor uncontaminated source is available and possibly some
 > source where it's (C)-clean and managment aproved.  Could something like
 > that be made working?  It's a shame that still nobody so far has had an
 > actual chance to start working on an O2 port or something like that.

       That should be ok; we have approval to do so (and I have
sometimes supplied information on that basis), at least for Indigo, Indigo2,
Indy, and Origin.  (There was some question about Octane and Onyx, especially
in regard to graphics.)

       If someone is seriously interested in doing an O2 port, I will help
with explanations of the major issues, and we can make documentation available
under the same restrictions as Indy documentation (no redistribution, no
warranty, documentation is known to be inaccurate in various details).
As I have described earlier, however, an O2 port is a major undertaking.
(It would be quite an interesting and challenging project, but it is
not simple.)

       Again, Indigo documentation, except via the method Ralf suggests,
is going to be hard to come by.  The O2 documentation, albeit somewhat
inaccurate, is on the other hand readily available.