Re: boot memory

To: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Subject: Re: boot memory
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:38:35 +0100
Cc: "linux-mips@fnet.fr" <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 02:04:55PM +0300, Gleb O. Raiko wrote:

> While we are discussing bootmem allocator, is there any plans to fix the
> allocator in order to be friendly for initrd on all arches ? Or do you
> have any ideas how to init bootmem w/o poisoning initrd image ? Call
> init_bootmem_node/core directly ?

You won't poison the initrd image.  The {init,free,reserve}_bootmem()
functions will only change the bootmem bitmap but nothing else.

> Also, why do not call init_bootmem in the machine independent place,
> somewhere in setup ?

free_bootmem / reserve_bootmem obviously need to be called from
arch dependent code and putting init_bootmem somewhere else is plain
ugly.

If your only worry is the initrd you can still reserve the memory for it
in setup_arch().