-fno-strict-aliasing problem in the latest 2.3

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: -fno-strict-aliasing problem in the latest 2.3
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:36:26 +0300
Hello,

There is a problem with the way main Makefile determines whether the
compiler suports -fno-strict-aliasing. Namely, Makefile blindly gets $CC
and tries to feed this option to it. Unfortunately, we set CC to proper
mips[el]-linux-gcc later in arch/mips/Makefile, so the main Makefile
just checks against native gcc. On RH6.1 with latest cross tool rpms
installed, I get cc1: Invalid option `-fno-strict-aliasing' during
comppilation, obviously.

I can't offer an elegenat solution to resolve this problem. Basically, I
see three choices:

1. Move logic that sets CC from arch/mips/Makefile to the main Makefile
   (Nightmare for Ralf who have to either feed it to Linus or add this
logic in the main
   Makefile every merge, I think.)
2. Filter CFLAGS to remove -fno-strict-aliasing in arch/mips/Makefile
(Nasty.)
3. Fix the mips compiler :-)
   (Looks good for me despite the fact I don't understand exctly how
much work it costs,
   but can imagine...)

Any ideas ?

Regards,