Re: Embedded system with RAM Disk

To: Charles Lepple <clepple@negativezero.org>
Subject: Re: Embedded system with RAM Disk
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:37:25 +0100
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:26:50PM -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:

> Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 08:26:34PM -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
> > > The PPC board that I used would not load ELF images with extra sections,
> [...]
> > In which case the PPC's ELF loader is hopless broken.  An ELF loader is
> > a quite simple thing, it only needs to process all the PT_LOAD entries
> > in the programm header table, done.
>
> sorry to spam the lists, but I just have to clear the PPC name :-)
>
> The boot firmware was for VxWorks, which evidently uses files which
> resemble ELF binaries down to the headers. I won't name the company who
> wrote the BSP, but it was pretty weak code (a little research in the
> Linux/PPC lists may turn stuff up though...)
>
> Most standards-compilant (PReP, CHRP) boards do load things correctly,
> however.

On the MIPS-side the price for firmware weirdness goes to SNI's ARC firmware
which always loads programs to the address specified in the address + 8
bytes.  The really sick thing is that behaviour is even allowed by the
ARC spec even though it's truly undesired behaviour for a kernel loader.

Luckily this can be fixed with objcopy :-)