Re: Linux for RM200

To: "Abramidis, Fa. SMC, ITS P, M" <A.Abramidis@deutschepost.de>
Subject: Re: Linux for RM200
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 23:03:36 +0100 (MET)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Abramidis, Fa. SMC, ITS P, M wrote:

> I have a nice little RM 200 with NT 3.51 and want to switch to Linux.
> How could I get the Kernel-Code and do you know if there are a lot of
> Users in the world or just one or two ?

If you have a real RM 200 without the extension C, you need to ask Michael
Engel. For a RM 200 C you can compile your own kernel. From the Linux/MIPS
HOWTO at http://www.linux.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html:

  SNI RM200C

   In contrast to the RM200 (see below) this machine has EISA and PCI
   slots. The RM200 is supported with the exception of the availability
   of the onboard NCR53c810A SCSI controller.

  SNI RM200

   If your machine has both EISA and PCI slots, then it is an RM200C;
   please see above. Due to the slight architectural differences of the
   RM200 and the RM200C this machine isn't currently supported in the
   official sources. Michael Engel (engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de) has
   managed to get his RM200 working partially but the patches haven't yet
   been included in the official Linux/MIPS sources.

Regards,
Richard