Re: more DECstation query

To: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Subject: Re: more DECstation query
From: Stu Allen <stu@cinops.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:10:30 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>, linux-mips@fnet.fr

> > Is the DS5100 big or the 5000/25 small etc..
>
> I don't know about the 5100 but the /25 is about 2/3 the size of a /200. On
> the
> other hand, the 5100 would probably more interesting because the support it is
> completely untested.

The DECsystem 5100 is about 8" tall and the footprint is about the same as
a desktop PC.  I can give you exact dimensions tonight after I measure the
one I have at home!

I'd be very interested in trying out the current MIPS stuff on mine -- I got
as far as getting to "can't mount root device" if I remember correctly a
couple years ago, but my involvement since then has been limited to just
reading an occasional message on the mailing list(s).  The major stumbling
block I think was the memory sizing routine -- I ended up hardcoding my
memory size and recompiling a custom kernel to get that far.

Is there somewhere I can go for a summary of where everything stands today,
and what I need to grab to give it another whirl?

--
Stu Allen                        Phone: (716) 231-0073
EDS/Xerox Internet Services      Email: stu@cinops.xerox.com