Re: DECstation 5000/125 +Linux and help ;)

To: Avalon@gmx.li
Subject: Re: DECstation 5000/125 +Linux and help ;)
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 18:38:23 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 04:22:56PM +0100, Avalon@gmx.li wrote:
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
a real name would be nice...

> for 1 year now i am the owner of a DECstation 5000/125 (incl. cd-rom) +
> DEC storage expansion (floppy), keyboard, mouse, VRT19-HA Monitor, a
> thickwire-cable+nic and some scsi-disks (rz24, etc).
> Additional i have got the DECstation 5000 Model 100 Series Hardware
> Operator's Guide.
>
> I want to know if somebody is already running linux under it, because i am
> seaching for infos about this system and running linux on that DECstation,
> at the moment their is no OS installed.

Linux is running on it, although "officially" only with serial console.
Framebuffer drivers for the PMAG-B and the PMGAGB-B graphics cards exist
as patches against kernel 2.2 (only tested on the Personal DECstation
5000/xx series), but are not yet integrated into the current Linux/MIPS
2.3 kernel series. Michael Engel is working on this currently, so maybe in
near future a patch against 2.3.21 will be available.
Keyboard and mouse support for the /125 is AFAIK also work in progress.

The DECstation-Linux project homepage is http://decstation.unix-ag.org, a
netbootable Kernel is available from Karel van Houten's Webpages at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vhouten/mipsel and a root filesystem for your
DECstation can be found on ftp://oss.sgi.com/ (sorry, I do not know the
exact path) or on ftp://bolug.uni-bonn.de/mips/, where you can also find
additional packages in rpm format (most of which need some beta testers
:-).

HTH,
Karsten
--