Re: kgdb support

To: Jeff Harrell <jharrell@ti.com>
Subject: Re: kgdb support
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:24:51 -0800
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, bbrown@ti.com, mhassler@ti.com, vwells@ti.com, kmcdonald@ti.com
> I am porting the MIPS/Linux version of the Linux kernel to a IDT79S145
> evaluation board.  This board has a IDT64475 (MIPS).  I would like to use a
> standard serial port as a kgdb port.  I will use my other serial port for the
> console port.  Could you provide any additional information regarding the kgdb
> interface?   Is kgdb a standalone application that would need to be built on
> the host to access a target board or is it a patch to the kernel files that
> needs to built into the kernel running on the host?

I think kgdb basically is the same thing as gdb-stubs was, they just renamed it
for some reason. There is a program that comes with gdb-stubs that will let you
drop into kgdb over the serial line if you run it on the target.  You don't need
anything else than gdb to actually run the stuff once the kernel on the target
machine is in the kgdb mode.  If you get a kernel fault, it will automatically
drop into kgdb.  Read the patch and you'll see.

Scott Lurndal is currently working on support for kdb on MIPS, and that will
make things a bit easier when it's working.  Do not exchange kgdb and kdb, they
are two different things :-).

Ulf