Re: kgdb support

To: Ulf Carlsson <>
Subject: Re: kgdb support
From: Jeff Harrell <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:50:04 -0700
Ulf Carlsson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 12:00:56PM -0700, Jeff Harrell wrote:
> > In the process of looking through the MIPS/Linux code base,  I noticed that
> > the kgdb interface seems to support the ZS85C30  (see the function
> > rs_kgdb_hook) but do not see where the generic serial interface (i.e.
> > /drivers/char/serial.c) is supported.  Is the kgdb support provided through
> > the file gdb-stub.c? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> The kgdb that comes from provides support for
> normal
> serial ports if that's what you're looking for.  You may be able to use that
> serial driver with the gdb-stub.c that we have in arch/mips/kernel provided
> enough time to get the things together.  What are you trying to do?
> Ulf

I am porting the MIPS/Linux version of the Linux kernel to a IDT79S145
board.  This board has a
IDT64475 (MIPS).  I would like to use a standard serial port as a kgdb port.  I
will use my other serial port for the
console port.  Could you provide any additional information regarding the kgdb
interface?   Is kgdb a standalone
application that would need to be built on the host to access a target board or
it a patch to the kernel files that needs
to built into the kernel running on the host?

Jeff Harrell                    Work:  (801) 984-0183
Broadband Access group/TI