Re: [Fwd: zs and less that 8bit modes]

To: raiko@niisi.msk.ru (Gleb O. Raiko)
Subject: Re: [Fwd: zs and less that 8bit modes]
From: Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@metabyte.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:44:57 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
> Subject: zs and less that 8bit modes
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:30:00 +0300
> From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
> To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
>
> The problem Zilog sets high bits in received chars and X server doesn't
> like it. In order to operate, the serial mouse protocol requires 7bit
> mode, then X gets 8bit char with high bit set and thinks it should
> process that char. [...]

Historically this was the way many ancient pieces of hardware
operated. I observed it myself many years ago. This does not
mean they were not broken by design, and there was some evolution
since days of PDP-11/24.

> So, I have 2 choices: either 'fix' the zs driver (what I have made
> already, the driver stores mask depending on receive mode and applies
> the mask on every byte it receives) or fix the X server. Then, again, I
> am not sure X is a single application that have this behavior.

I would say, fix both. Be liberal in what you accept and be
conservative in what you produce.

--Pete