zs and less that 8bit modes

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: zs and less that 8bit modes
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:30:00 +0300
Hello,

I found the problem with zs I haven't idea on which layer I have to fix
it.

The problem Zilog sets high bits in received chars and X server doesn't
like it. In order to operate, the serial mouse protocol requires 7bit
mode, then X gets 8bit char with high bit set and thinks it should
process that char. Certainly, it leads to very interesting pointer
behaviour in X :-). From the other side, gpm looks to not be affected at
all.

So, I have 2 choices: either 'fix' the zs driver (what I have been made
already, the driver stores mask depending on receive mode and applies
the mask on every byte it receives) or fix the X server. Then, again, I
am not sure X is a single application that have this behavior.

Any comments ?

Regards,
Gleb.