Re: Location of init_task_union

To: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <>
Subject: Re: Location of init_task_union
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:53:14 +0100
On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 05:32:15PM -0500, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:

> > Yes.  I already did this in my private source for another, MIPS64 related
> > reason.
> OK, thanks.  I think that also alleviates the need for that ALIGN at the end
> of head.S, plus we can get rid of the .text just above there in head.S,
> right?  BTW, is there some historical reason for that .text?

Probably it exists because in '94 when I started with Linux/MIPS i386 had
it in .text or so.  Iff there ever was a real reason it now rests in peace.

Btw, take a look at arch/mips64/kernel/head.S which looks much cleaner than
what we currently have for the 32-bit kernel.  That head.S was definately
the single most ugly thing we had in the kernel.  It's all gone now; the
TLB exception handlers and the CPU detection code is now in other files;
the later has been rewritten to C.