Re: RedHat / SUSE

To: Wayne Allen <>
Subject: Re: RedHat / SUSE
From: Karsten Merker <>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:43:01 +0100
Wayne Allen wrote:

[Porting Suse to mipsel]
> > May I be curious and ask why?
> The main reasons revolve around compatibility, in terms of the Linux system
> at university has standardised on SUSE, a number of packages are available
> as standard on SUSE in particular encryption (SSH PGP etc) and WXWINDOWS, On

I cannot tell about wxwindows, but the crypto packages for redhat are
available officially from (/pub/crypto/redhat IIRC) in the
netherlands. RedHat cannot ship them because of US export restrictions on
strong cryptography, so they are made outside the US.

> my current install of RH 6.1 there are a number of recurring problems in
> particular with gnome, and gomerpm,(the gnomeRPM installation system),
> thirdly It was an early Christmas present.
> However  saying all the above I will try tonight to reinstall RH6.1 and see
> what problems occur. I do not want to get into a situation now where in
> months/ years to come my Dec/Linux system become unusable due to the
> divergence of RH and SUSE.

RH61 is buggy :-(, at least the first release is, so before trying to
install it, get the updated packages (from or
possibly faster for you from

#include <standard_disclaimer>