RE: RedHat / SUSE

To: Wayne Allen <>
Subject: RE: RedHat / SUSE
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:10:22 +0100 (MET)
On 14-Nov-99 Wayne Allen wrote:
> I am currently running 2 DEC's a 3100 and 5000/33 on a version of Linux from
> the DEC/LINUX website. Due to various reasons I am going to have to rebuild
> my linux system and change from Redhat to SUSE (6.2) Am I going to have any
> problems in relation to the Dec's and the development system, as although at
> the moment I am just downloading and running pre-compiled code, I would like
> to start to investigate the compilation side (my main interest will be the
> SCSI on the 3100)?
> Any comments will be most gratefully recieved....

Well, last time I checked (SuSE 6.0) the SuSE distribution was quite i386
centric, even in the spms. They were adding patches like "CCFLAGS= -m486 -O2"
without checking. Things like that are probably suboptimal for MIPS processors.

That may have changed since the Alpha AXP release of SuSE 6.1, but I wouldn't
expect your task to be a matter of compile 'n' go.