Re: RedHat / SUSE

To: "Karsten Merker" <>
Subject: Re: RedHat / SUSE
From: "Wayne Allen" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:28:52 -0000
Cc: <>
From: Karsten Merker <>
To: Wayne Allen <>
Cc: <>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 9:36 PM

> Wayne Allen wrote:
> > I am currently running 2 DEC's a 3100 and 5000/33 on a version of Linux
> > the DEC/LINUX website. Due to various reasons I am going to have to
> > my Linux system and change from Redhat to SUSE (6.2) Am I going to have
> May I be curious and ask why?

The main reasons revolve around compatibility, in terms of the Linux system
at university has standardised on SUSE, a number of packages are available
as standard on SUSE in particular encryption (SSH PGP etc) and WXWINDOWS, On
my current install of RH 6.1 there are a number of recurring problems in
particular with gnome, and gomerpm,(the gnomeRPM installation system),
thirdly It was an early Christmas present.

However  saying all the above I will try tonight to reinstall RH6.1 and see
what problems occur. I do not want to get into a situation now where in
months/ years to come my Dec/Linux system become unusable due to the
divergence of RH and SUSE.