Re: RiscServer 2200

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: RiscServer 2200
From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb@uab.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:28:22 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Monte Erickson <svntyfrcvt@ptinet.net>, linux-mips@fnet.fr

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 08:54:14PM -0700, Monte Erickson wrote:
>
> > I've recently aquired a  dual mips 200 server and can,t stand the way
> > nt  runs on it. Is there any hope for Linux on my platform or maybe
> > something else without selling the farm to get it? I've read the
> > Linux/MIPS FAQ and don't know anything about hacking  the kernel. I
> > wouldn't even know where to start. All I've been able to do is compile
> > the darn thing.
> > Would appreciate any insight in the matter.
>
> No chance unless you reverse engineer the machine depenent parts of NT.
> Not a fun job.

Ralf probably knows better than I, but you may try and get the information
out of NEC.  The only thing of relevance I can find is a part number for
the "Service and Reference Manual" (819-181259-000).  Although it probably
would not be enough to get anything started.  You can also get a lot of
information from just identifying the major ICs on the motherboard (unless
they all happen to be custom chips).

-Andrew