Re: latest binutils cygnus CVS 991025

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Subject: Re: latest binutils cygnus CVS 991025
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:33:26 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 04:20:26PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Hi,
> does anyone have experiences with the latest (e.g. 991025) binutils from
> cygnus CVS ?
>
> I got it build for "mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu" and got a libgmp2
> build (Which fails with binutils 2.8.1 -> segfault ld)

Try the following:

  echo 'main(){}' > test.c
  gcc -o test test.c -lm -lieee

I hope you got a cronjob to remove core files ;-)

> The resulting library links against ssh (with 2.8.1) without problems
> and seems to work (SSH works)
>
> Are there any other known problems i might not have noticed ?

 - Symbol versioning is broken in the CVS version.  There is no fix yet for
   this problem.
 - The CVS gas version has a few problems with weak symbols, aliases and
   other special cases.  These usually don't show up.  Anyway, the patchkit
   on oss.sgi.com has all these fixes which haven't made their way into
   CVS.

I've spent a tremendous amount of time into tracking down a large number of
other bugs in binutils; I was able to rebuild entire RH 6.0 with that
linker.