Re: Porting for NEC Vrc4372, Vrc4373

To: peter lawford <plawford@hns.com>
Subject: Re: Porting for NEC Vrc4372, Vrc4373
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:05:23 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Peter,

> Has anyone written code for the NEC Vrc 4372 and/or Vrc4373 controller
> chips?  These chips are used in the reference evaluation board for the
> NEC 4300 MIPS.  I'd like to port Linux to this architecture, but I'm not
> sure where to start (I have the data sheets and Linux/MIPS source).
>       Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While this may be irritating because it's not really answering your
question...  They're not the only possible evaluation boards;
Algorithmics' P-4032 has been around longer (so may have less
undiscovered bugs) and has advantages:

o A decent OpenBSD port available now (which includes a working super
  VGA X11 graphics system).
o a two-year-old Linux port which was kind of done
o A port in progress with someone in the US (name available
  privately).
o Help and encouragement available from Algorithmics, who are the board
  designers.
o A free board to anyone who is serious about getting a good Linux up
  and running.
o P-4032 supports not only Vr43x0, but the QED RM5230 and IDT 64x74
  CPUs too.
o A familial connection with the big-brother P-5064 board, which
  supports CPUs right up to the RM7000.

Dominic Sweetman
Algorithmics Ltd
dom@algor.co.uk