Re: bootblocks

To: "Sergey N. Lapin" <slapin@ftp.gis.karelia.ru>
Subject: Re: bootblocks
From: "Houten K.H.C. van (Karel)" <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:12:29 +0200
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Hi Sergey,

slapin@ftp.gis.karelia.ru wrote:
> hi,
> Any ideas about porting NetBSD/pmax bootblocks to linux?
> ideas to install bootblocks without installing NETbsd itself?

I've looked into that a while ago, but the bootblocks are very depending
on several NetBSD kernel libraries (for stand-alone operation), and
they have only ffs filesystem code, not ext2fs.

We seem to have some options:

- Porting NetBSD bootblocks:
   + porting standalone libs to linux/mips
   + changing ufs code to ext2fs

- Porting silo (Sparc two-stage loader)
   + changing sparc assembler code to mips
   + changing sun prom calls to decstation prom calls.

What would be easier?

Regards,
Karel.

--