Re: ISDN on Personal DECstation

To: Matthias Heidbrink <mh@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: ISDN on Personal DECstation
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@sfgoth.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:09:10 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
> > First, keep in mind that the built-in ISDN on a PD5000 is 1 B-channel
> > only and does not have a built-in NT1 (I think).
>
> That's no problem, just the opposite. In Europe the phone company always
> delivers the NT1, you never get to see the phone wires and the UK0 interface
> or
> whatever they use. Therefore all ISDN devices sold in Europe have an S0
> interface (if they don't have PRI, of course ;-)), not UK0 or something
> like that.

Ah, ok.  Here in the states pretty much anything even remotely modern
has the NT1.  At a previous employer we had some _really_ old ISDN
gear that had external NT1's, but that's the only place I've ever
seen one.

> A DECstation with Linux would make a nice Internet Dial-up
> server and firewall, so it's definitely worth a try.

Well, best of luck then - maybe you folks will have more luck with
the thing than DEC had :-)  Still, I'm inclined to believe there was
some reason they came with those little stickers over the port...

-Mitch