Re: ISDN on Personal DECstation

To: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@sfgoth.com>
Subject: Re: ISDN on Personal DECstation
From: Matthias Heidbrink <mh@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:01:05 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Hi Mitchell,

> > Does somebody knows if it would be possible to connect a Personal
> > DECstation's ISDN to a public ISDN network, looking at the hardware side?
>
> First, keep in mind that the built-in ISDN on a PD5000 is 1 B-channel
> only and does not have a built-in NT1 (I think).

That's no problem, just the opposite. In Europe the phone company always
delivers the NT1, you never get to see the phone wires and the UK0 interface or
whatever they use. Therefore all ISDN devices sold in Europe have an S0
interface (if they don't have PRI, of course ;-)), not UK0 or something
like that.

> Even if you could make it work
> just for hack-value, a 64K ISDN interface isn't really that exciting.

One again, it's not so bad in Europe. Here in Germany, my ISDN line (BRI)
costs less than two analog phone lines, so everybody who does serious computer
stuff uses ISDN. A DECstation with Linux would make a nice Internet Dial-up
server and firewall, so it's definitely worth a try.

Ciao, Matthias
--
Matthias Heidbrink     E-Mail:
Bundesratufer 12       Matthias_Heidbrink@b.maus.de