Re: ISDN on Personal DECstation

To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Subject: Re: ISDN on Personal DECstation
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@sfgoth.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:17:19 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Richard van den Berg wrote:
> Does somebody knows if it would be possible to connect a Personal
> DECstation's ISDN to a public ISDN network, looking at the hardware side?

First, keep in mind that the built-in ISDN on a PD5000 is 1 B-channel
only and does not have a built-in NT1 (I think).  Second, the PD5000
shipped with a sticker covering the jack so you wouldn't know it was
there - it was never supported under Ultrix.  The rumor I heard was
that DEC fubared the hardware design and found out too late that it
wouldn't work - that could be BS though.  I also heard it's the same
interface chip as the Sparcstation LX used, if you want to research more.

It's been awhile since I ran BSD on my DECstations, but I remember that
OpenBSD detected the device as existing - not sure if it ever could do
anyting with it.

I personally suspect that the answer is "no".  I used to admin a bunch
of those in the heyday of Ultrix, and I never saw nor heard of anyone
making a productive use of that jack.  Even if you could make it work
just for hack-value, a 64K ISDN interface isn't really that exciting.

-Mitch