First try at a gcc 2.95.1 configuration for Linux/MIPS

To: <linuxce-devel@linuxce.org>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: First try at a gcc 2.95.1 configuration for Linux/MIPS
From: "Jay Carlson" <nop@nop.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:52:54 -0400
I'm working on the Linux CE project ( www.linuxce.org and
www.ltc.com/pub/linux-mips/ ) and I really want support for crosscompiling
from Linux x86 to Linux/MIPS using gcc 2.95.  In addition to performance and
code size improvements (20% improvement in dhrystone 2.1), gcc 2.95 supports
targeting the MIPS16 instruction set.

I've placed an interim set of patches for gcc-2.95.1 at
ftp://ftp.place.org/pub/nop/linuxce/gcc-2.95.1-interim-990916.patch.gz .
I'm uncertain about their correctness; however, using binutils
2.8.1+mips-patches, they do successfully build glibc-2.0.7+mips-patches and
the Linux CE dev tree kernel.  I have not extensively tested the binaries
produced.

I don't use a compiler hosted on Linux/MIPS yet, so that's totally untested.
Also, I haven't tried any languages besides C.  I wouldn't be posting this
at all except that I'm about to go semi-offline for a couple of days and I
figured it would be good to share any kind of progress. So what do you get
out of this?  I dunno, maybe a starting place, maybe a waste of time.

Jay