Re: Cross Compiling linux/MIPS

To: Khaled Labib <labibk@taec.toshiba.com>
Subject: Re: Cross Compiling linux/MIPS
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@thepuffingroup.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 02:15:38 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
> Q1:
> ===
> The instructions asks to download the following source packages:
>
> binutils-2.8.1.tar.gz
> binutils-2.8.1-2.diff.gz
> egcs-1.0.3a.tar.gz
> egcs-1.0.3a-1.diff.gz
>
> glibc-2.0.6.tar.gz
> glibc-crypt-2.0.6.tar.gz
> glibc-localedata-2.0.6.tar.gz
> glibc-linuxthreads-2.0.6.tar.gz
>

> Some patches are also required which are:
>
> binutils-2.8.1-mips.patch
> egcs-1.0.3a-mips.patch
> glibc-2.0.6-mips.patch
>

> I searched ftp.linux.sgi.com for the above file but I could ONLY find :
>
> binutils-2.8.1.tar.gz
>
> So where can I get the rest of the files from ? A full path into an ftp site
> would be really appreciated.

The glibc-2.0.6.tar.gz is not to find there.  What you may do is to extract
the binary files from the compiled MIPS RPM package, and install them manually
in your /usr/mips-linux or /usr/local/mips-linux.

Egcs and Binutils are here:

ftp.linux.sgi.com /pub/linux/mips/src/egcs/cross-egcs-1.0.3a-1.src.rpm
ftp.linux.sgi.com /pub/linux/mips/src/binutils/cross-binutils-2.8.1.src.rpm

You may compile the source RPM packages manually if you extract them first
with RPM, or you may compile them automatically with RPM.

> Q2:
> ===
> I am actually trying to crosscompile the linux/MIPS kernel. To get the
> sources I
> used the anonymous cvs server from ftp.linux.sgi.com/cvs to checkout the
> linux
> sources with a linux_2_2 tag which I assumed is a stable version  for 2.2
> kernel. Is that correct ? If not which is the latest linux/MIPS kernel that I
> can get.

It should be the latest if you don't prefer a 2.3 kernel.

Ulf