Re: trying to get PMAG-BA working on DS5000/200

To: Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>
Subject: Re: trying to get PMAG-BA working on DS5000/200
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:49:13 +0400
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Dave Airlie wrote:

> so it finds it, and says stuff but I don't see anything happening on the
> monitor Linux boots up the rest of the way ... what am I missing?

Did you include dummy console ?

The console driver is started before a frame buffer device is ready. The
console driver determines it is able to work if the underlying device is
available (look at con_init() in drivers/char/console.c). The procedure
is quite simple: the console driver looks on return value from
con_startup. Usually, to tell the console driver there will be a frame
buffer device later, conswitchp is set to dummy_con (look at
arch/mips/<box>/setup.c, for example). The startup routine of the dummy
console just returns non-NULL value. Later, register_framebuffer will
call take_over_console to switch from the dummy console to the real
frame buffer.

If the console driver gets NULL value from con_startup it just doesn't
initialize itself. So you just haven't console at all at this case or
more probably the serial console is still used.

Regards,
Gleb.