Re: New in this game with R4400 200 MHz

To: Paris Altidis <parisa@megsinet.net>
Subject: Re: New in this game with R4400 200 MHz
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:01:16 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 10:53:15PM -0500, Paris Altidis wrote:

> Just got two Netpower R4400 200 MHz Boxes and I think there is a lot of
> potential in making them a hell of a server.    But, first things first.   I
> need to install Linux and am not sure whether the Netpower box is supported.
> These are >> NT 3.51 PCs <<< with a small FAT partition and the rest is
> NTFS.
> My Questions:
> 1. Is there a way to repartition the NTFS partition ?

I assume you want to do so without data loss - you'll have to use whatever
NT offers you for that purpose.  Linux doesn't have any tools for that,
especially the Linux NTFS support is flakey.

>   There is a 1.0 GB HD
> but I'm going to install another one 4.5 GB strictly for Linux.
> 2. What is the procedure for making the second drive Linux bootable + boot
> as Linux (same as in Win NT4.0's boot.ini file)

That's quite simple.  You only need to place the kernel to boot on the
FAT partition on the first drive, start it and that's it.  The machine uses
the same partition scheme as PCs with the exception that the boot blocks and
bootable flags in the partition table are unused.

There are several models of NeTpower machines, their uniprocessor machine
seems to be identical with the Acer PICA.  You'd probably have to do some
kernel hacking to do in order to get it running, would you be interested
and capable of doin this?  I can help you with that.