Re: old R3000 box

To: Kindt Dominique <>
Subject: Re: old R3000 box
From: Richard van den Berg <>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:10:01 +0200 (MET DST)
On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Kindt Dominique wrote:

> I am system adminstrator of the University of Antwerp (Belgium)
> and i just received (I've powered it of myself) an old Decstation
> 5000.

Which DECstation 5000; a 5000/20, a 5000/260 or one in between? They do
differ a bit.

> Now I want install a linux on it (to scan the network ... and run
> some nifty tools ...) but I cannot seem to get it running. Netbsd is
> no problem.

Both my /25 and /133 run Linux.

> I've tried a lot (except for the milo) and nothing seems to work.

Following tips and instructions on
can result in a DECstation running Linux.

> Is my only sollution crossdevelopment?

Well, earlier today the /133 compiled a kernel from fresh cvs
source running Linux, but a kernel can also be cross-compiled
if you follow the steps in the Linux/MIPS HOWTO at

Compiling programs I would prefer to do natively, but that is not always
necessary as has a lot pre-built packages.