Re: extreem linux (Beowulf)

To: David Mitchell <lucas@morpheus.net>
Subject: Re: extreem linux (Beowulf)
From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb@uab.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:22:18 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, David Mitchell wrote:
> Well, I've been subscribed to this list for a few months now and I've been
> waiting (hoping) to see if it was possible to run Linux on some indigo 2s.
> However, that doesn't seem to be possible (from what I understand).  So,
> I'm looking for someplace to download source code for extreem linux.  The
> university I'm attending (and working for) had 24 SGI indigo 2s donated to
> them.  They have no use for them so I would like to setup a cluster.  I've
> read quite a lot about beowulf, but I still am not very knowledgeable (I
> have no idea if the C source will run on IRIX... I'm not entirely sure
> linux won't run on these.  Anyway if you have any advise or help (where I
> could find the source code and so on... perhpas some good beowulf sites) I
> would appreciate it.

I would say that it is possible as I have a Beowulf cluster here built out
of Indigo2s.  It's been up for almost three months now.  I have recently
added (E)ISA support for the Indigo2 to the CVS archive (although it is
only in the linux_2_2 branch until I get my devel machine fixed) and I
have gotten a 3com Etherlink III card working in it as well.  E-mail me if
you need any help setting it up.

-Andrew