Re: Porting Linux to R3000 computers

To: Averyanov Alexander <avalex@mail.ru>
Subject: Re: Porting Linux to R3000 computers
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:49:14 +0400
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
> Averyanov Alexander wrote:
> I am trying install Linux to SGI IRIS XS24 with R3000 processor and
> get many problems. This system recognize only ECOFF format for booting
> kernel ( i think).
>
> And i don't compile kernel for R3000 in this format (and other formats
> too) - many mistakes.
>
> How i can compile kernel ?

The Linux kernel may be compiled in ELF only. Also, linker for
Linux/MIPS doesn't support ECOFF at all. This feature was dropped
recently because nobody really needs them. The Linux/MIPS kernel sources
contain elf2ecoff, so you may convert ELF images to ECOFF ones. (Don't
forget link your image with -N, current ld/eld2ecoff are buggy.)

> Do you compile kernel for R000 in ECOFF format for me ?

You may cross compile the kernel sources on PCs.

> What computers with R3000 support LINUX?
> This informations very important for me.

Now to my knowlege, DECstations and Bagets. There is also a guy who
ports Linux on his R3081 based box, but I don't know the details.

Regards,
Gleb.