Re: root file system

To: Rabeeh Khoury <>
Subject: Re: root file system
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:05:26 +0400

Rabeeh Khoury wrote:
> I'm having a trouble mounting a root file system on my embedded linux
> (one of our (Galileo's) boards).
> the problem is that i built a driver for Flash memory ( meanwhile it
> reads and writes from SDRAM for
> verification purposes ) i got an initrd image (from HardHat dir in
> and wrote it to the memory  (using monitior);
> but each time i try to mount the filesystem the data i get is switched ;
> for example ; when the linux tries to read the filesystems' magic number
> ; it gets
> 53FE instead of FE53 (ext2 magic number).
> i tried to do some manipulation in the driver by switching the hi and
> low bytes in a 16 bit data in the buffer
> that the linux allocated ; it fixes the 16 bit reads but gets wrong data
> in other transactions (32 bit ) ; for example
> the data A B C D (A..D are bytes) are read B A D C.
> p.s. i'm running linux on big mips

Did you try to make your own initrd image ? Are you sure your initrd
works with oridnary ram driver, not your flash emulation on SDRAM ?

BTW, the flash driver project are at We are using the drivers for our
Baget/MIPS port. There are a driver that emulates flash on the box RAM,
cfi driver and lots of other stuff.