Linking problem, _end not at the end

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Linking problem, _end not at the end
From: "Nicholas C. Weaver" <nweaver@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
        I am currently attempting to get linux-mips working on the DDB
Vrc5074 development board (NEC Vr5000 CPU, Vrc5074 glue chip, little
endian mips), and I'm having problems with the linking.  My current
start point is 2.2.10 from the SGI repository.  (Note that I know
there are some other problems with this kernel on little-endian
machines, but I can wait on that until I fix this problem).

        Specifically, _end is not the last symbol in the kernel, which
causes the memory management routines to think that the free memory
starts in the middle of the kernel's static memory.

        I'm using the arch/mips/ld.script.little as the linking
script, LD version is GNU ld version 2.9.1 (with BFD 2.9.1) (stock
compiled from the standard binutils distribution).  Suggestions as to
what might be wrong?

        The full linking command line (reformatted) :

mipsel-linux-ld -static -N -G 0 -T arch/mips/ld.script.little
-Ttext 0xa0100000
arch/mips/kernel/head.o
arch/mips/kernel/init_task.o
init/main.o
init/version.o
--start-group
arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o
arch/mips/mm/mm.o
kernel/kernel.o
mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o
arch/mips/ddb/ddb.o
fs/filesystems.a
net/network.a
drivers/block/block.a
drivers/char/char.a
drivers/misc/misc.a
drivers/net/net.a
arch/mips/lib/lib.a
/scratch/nweaver_build/kernel-build/linux/lib/lib.a
--end-group
-o vmlinux