Re: Linux Mips Port

To: The jazz man <cbergstr@sfu.ca>
Subject: Re: Linux Mips Port
From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb@uab.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:35:35 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, The jazz man wrote:
> What software exists out there for this specific architecture?

I'm not sure of wxactly what you are asking for, but there is most of (if
not all) of a redhat release for big-endian MIPS chips.  I have it running
on several Indigo2 R4400s here.

> I was going to compile the kernel on my x86 Linux box, copy it over to any
> specific location in our PCMCIA storage card and configure our bootloader
> to set the program counter to that location. Is that reasonable?

Shouldn't be a problem.  I compile all my kernels on my x86 machine and
then boot the MIPS boxes with bootp.  Only because the boot loader on the
boxes won't read an ext2fs filesystem.

> How do I compile the kernel (I'm sort of akward in Linux land, so I need
> instructions that assume I'm a moron.)? Will Linux let me make an image
> that I can download to another host?

You will need to get a cross-compiler.  There is an egcs cross-compiler
for big-endian (and I think little endian) MIPS on
http://www.linux.sgi.com.  You may also want to look at the MIPS how-to
there if you haven't already.

Keep us informed of your progess.

-Andrew