Re: MIPS64

To: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <>
Subject: Re: MIPS64
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:49:19 +0400
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>,,,
"Bradley D. LaRonde" wrote:
> > > Good news.  I think this is a good move, especially if a flood of new
> ports
> > > to new device starts pouring in from our project (LinuxCE).  There are
> > > already three new platoforms and two new processors on the drawing board
> > > now.
> >
> > Note that it's not compeltly impossible, just unattractive to make a
> > generic kernel.  So if necessary we can do it.
> I'm also thinking that platform-specifc kernels will be smaller and
> potentially faster (less indirection), which is especially important on
> platforms like the Clio and Cassiopea.

The practice shows both might be resolved in generic kernels. If you
want save 4k and drop other-platform-specific parts at run-time, put
platform specific parts in their own sections (like initfunc/initdata).
Also, Ralf showed it's possible to fix the code at run-time to have fast
kernels. I agree the sources become much uglier but it works.