Re: ECOFF

To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject: Re: ECOFF
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:49:44 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 04:45:59PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <19990819154712.A13843@uni-koblenz.de> Ralf Baechle writes:
> : Does anybody still rely on the linker support for ECOFF binaries?  I'd
> : like to drop the ECOFF emulations (mipsbig and mipslittle) from ld.
>
> Doesn't LILO for the little endian ARC machines require this?

You mean Milo ...  Milo needs to be ECOFF but our compiler produces ELF
output.  Furthermore since we need relocatable ECOFF binaries for the
SNI firmware (actually the specs require it, but only on SNI we really
need it) we have to link PIC code to ECOFF.  And that is way too strong
stuff for ld to cope with.  That's why we're using elf2ecoff which is
now included with every Linux kernel.