Re: HI16 / LO16 relocations.

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: HI16 / LO16 relocations.
From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 15:42:36 -0700
Cc: binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com, linux@engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Sender: mitchell@codesourcery.com

    Ralf> Mark, for now I'm just posting this in the hope it may ring
    Ralf> a bell.  It seems like HI16 / LO16 relocation pairs are not
    Ralf> handled correctly This may result in ``la $reg, symbol''
    Ralf> ending up after the final link as ``la $reg, symbol +
    Ralf> 0x10000''.

We're running into a lot more problems than I'd hoped for.  I'm
becoming embarassed.  The best redeeming action is fix the problems
with all possible alacrity; I'll try my best.  I do really think we're
getting close.  I appreciate your testing.

As soon as you get a test-case, I'll take a look at this.  It's fine
even it's big, as long as you can point at the exact place that goes
wrong; I'd really like to get this work behind me, and get everything
back to a more stable state.  've compiled *millions* of lines of code
on IRIX6 with the new linker without a problem; obviously the
relocation patterns are very different from the N32/N64 ABI to the
older ABIs.