Re: MIPS/ELF linker

To: ian@zembu.com
Subject: Re: MIPS/ELF linker
From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 09:52:11 -0700
Cc: ralf@uni-koblenz.de, ralf@gnu.org, binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com, thockin@cobaltnet.com, linux@engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Sender: mitchell@codesourcery.com
    Ian> Since this symbol is in the reserved name space, it's OK for
    Ian> the linker to define it magically.  It's no more buggy for an
    Ian> executable to use the symbol _DYNAMIC_LINK without a
    Ian> definition than it is for an executable to use the symbol
    Ian> __program_header_table without a definition.

That's true, from an ANSI C point of view.  But, it's not true from a
system-specific point of view.  Some systems have well-known entry
points beginnning with `_'.  It seems unncessary to deal with this
_DYNAMIC_LINK trick on systems that don't need it; hence the
suggestion that the linker script is the place for it.

But, as you say, I'm not quite sure how to do that; I'll just restore
the original handling of this code.