Re: Embedded Linux on MIPS processors?

To: Graham Stoney <greyham@research.canon.com.au>
Subject: Re: Embedded Linux on MIPS processors?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:30:08 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 12:55:08PM +1000, Graham Stoney wrote:

> I'm considering using Linux on an embedded system designed around a MIPS
> processor, and I'm wondering if anyone has created such a beast before. I'd be
> especially interested in any embedded systems built around the NEC VR4310 or
> IDT R32364. There seems to be plenty of info regarding Linux on MIPS-based
> workstations, but not so much about embedded systems. Given the popularity of
> the MIPS architecture in embedded environments, I'd be very interested in
> hearing from anyone using Linux on one, or any pointers anyone could offer.

There is a number of ongoing commercial embedded Linux/MIPS projects
which should sooner or later start shipping after which hopefully their
code will be marged back into the standard source release.  As embedded
systems tend to often require very special OS modifications or are
shipping in small numbers you shouldn't necessarily expect all such
modifications to show up.  Another thing is that often I simply had to
reject patches mailed to me because they are so doubleplushorribly
hacked up that they'd require complete rewriting from scratch to be
acceptable ...  Having that said, with some MIPS & Linux knowledge a port
to a new system is usually very easy as long as it isn't as complex as
a SGI box ...