Re: GDB

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: GDB
From: "M. David Gelbman" <dgelbman@npiny.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:44:49 -0400
Cc: linux@engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Ralf,

I'm using a GDB target remote stub on my MIPS R4650 application board.
I've never been able to apply the patch to the host program that
impliments the hardware breakpoint commands 'b' and 'B' as described:

*============== Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:30:55 -0800 patch
*       insert break    Bt,AA..AA[,LLLL]
*       or watchpoint                   t is type: 0 - software
breakpoint,
*                                       1 - hardware breakpoint, 2 -
write
*                                       watchpoint, 3 - read watchpoint,
4 -
*                                       access watchpoint;
*                                       AA..AA is address;
*                                       LLLL is number of bytes;
*       reply           OK              for success
*                       ENN             for an error
*       (not supported on all stubs)
*
*       remove break    bt,AA..AA[,LLLL]
*       or watchpoint                   t is type: 0 - software
breakpoint,
*                                       1 - hardware breakpoint, 2 -
write
*                                       watchpoint, 3 - read watchpoint,
4 -
*                                       access watchpoint;
*                                       AA..AA is address;
*                                       LLLL is number of bytes;
*       reply           OK              for success
*                       ENN             for an error
*       (not supported on all stubs)
*
*============== Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:30:55 -0800 patch

But I DO have the target stub pieces running in the target remote stub.
I just use the GDB command "maintenence packet" to effect it.  My
environment is a small real-time kernel called Nucleus (ATI) and GDB
works just fine.  I just bet that others would love to be able to break
on a read or write to a data location.

How should I proceed?

BTW if anyone does want the target stub, write me.

--

M. David Gelbman                 Senior Software Engineer
Network Peripherals, Inc.  Suite 102        <NASDAQ:NPIX>