Re: Globals not getting initialized

To: <linuxce-devel@linuxce.org>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Re: Globals not getting initialized
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:34:30 -0400
>On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 08:49:24PM -0400, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:
>
>> In case you missed the subtlety, I'll say it right out - yup, it was
the -N
>> bug.
>
>> Well, now that I'm an expert on this bug, need any help fixing it?  :)
>
>I'd appreciate if somebody'd pump some of his time into that.  Alternative,
>can you comeup with some minimal piece of code to demonstrate the problem?
>
>  Ralf

I was looking at the docs for -N.  Something about making text and data
segments r/w.  Something else about not page-aligning the data segment.
Based on what I could tell, what I encountered involved the data segment,
but I'm not sure just how.  I don't think it had to do with the r/w thing.

But as I thought about it, I wondered, "Maybe -N *is* doing what it's
supposed to be doing, and we just don't like it."  :-)

OK, so if that isn't the case, just what is -N supposed to do?  Is it a Good
Thing?  I mean, what is it's normal use?  Why do people use it?  Do we need
it?  If so, what for?

Regards,
Brad