Re: Cobalt linux compiling

To: Kossay Omary <kossay@galileo.co.il>
Subject: Re: Cobalt linux compiling
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:57:08 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 05:19:26PM +0200, Kossay Omary wrote:

> my questions are :
> 1.. where can i get libc.so.6 (GLIBC2.x) ; and where should i install it
> ? this package should be compatible for the pentium processor ; am i
> right ?

>From RH 6.0.

> 2.. after installing the cross-compiler where can i find a glibc for the
> cross-compiler itself
>     in order to compile the kernel for MIPS ? and where should i install
> it ?

You don't need a MIPS glibc in order to cross-compile the MIPS kernel.

> 3.. do you suggest a better kernel source other than that from
> CobaltNetworks ?

Get the CVS source from linus.linux.sgi.com.  See the FAQ on
www.linux.sgi.com for how to access it.

> does redhat v 6 has a source code for Mips ?

No the stock distribution.  I'm working on a port of RH 6.0.

> 4.. does redhat v 6 has development tools for Mips ? (cross-compiler
> with glibc's etc...)

No.

> remarks :
> 1.. i will install all the sources needed for the kernel (kernel
> source+glibc compatible for
> Mips) under a user called 'project' - so if you can also write for me
> the command line
> that i should use to install the packages relative to "~project" rather
> than the root directory.

There is no need to install the source in a specific location.  Just
install whereever you want.