Re: Bye, bye, "generic kernels"

To: "Mike Klar" <wyldfier@iname.com>
Subject: Re: Bye, bye, "generic kernels"
From: Mat Kovach <mkovach@mkovach.nacs.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:39:17 -0400
Cc: linuxce-devel@linuxce.org, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Comments: In-reply-to "Mike Klar" <wyldfier@iname.com> messages dated "Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:26:28 -0400."
"Mike Klar" said:
: Harald Koerfgen wrote:
:
: > An additional idea is to hide all these details from Joe
: > Average, based on
: > assumptions from the machine and CPU type, but to make them
: > available to
: > developers.
:
: That sounds a lot more appealing.  Joe Average might be able to guess R3000
: core vs R4000 core, but only someone who has been following the kernel
: development, or routinely settles down with CPU users manuals for pleasure
: reading, will know that their shiny new MIPS-based handheld doesn't support
: the LL/SC instruction pair.

I think that will come in time.  Even with the Alpha, you don't have completely
generic kernels.  Right now I think that the MIPS port still a bit to
early in development to worry about people that aren't following the
development compiling a kernel.

: As much as I think all users would benefit from a better understanding of
: the devices that power their computer equipment, I don't think it should be
: a pre-requisite for installing an OS.

This is true, and that should be kept in minding during development but should
not be something that is implemented now.

--
Mat Kovach                                            mkovach@mkovach.nacs.net
      This e-mail is brought to you by the letter gamma and number e