Re: Linux-MIPS kernel cross compilation on X86 pentium machine

To: Kossay Omary <kossay@galileo.co.il>
Subject: Re: Linux-MIPS kernel cross compilation on X86 pentium machine
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:36:24 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 07:17:51PM +0200, Kossay Omary wrote:

> i'm trying to compile limux-mips kernel using a cross compiler
> ver 2.7.2 ; and I get the following error msg :
>
> .previous without corresponding .section

That's a bug in an extremly old set of crosscompiler tools.  Get newer
ones from ftp.linux.sgi.com.  They're available there in rpm format.

> Also, did any of you develop MIPS kernel stuff using an X86 machine, I
> would like to hear about the best and easiest way to do so...

If you have Redhat 6.0 on a Alpha, Sparc, PPC or Intel box you can just
install the binary packages from the SGI site.  If not things are
getting somewhat more complex, see the FAQ on
http://www.linux.sgi.com/mips/.