RE: Bye, bye, "generic kernels"

To: "'Harald Koerfgen'" <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>, "'Bradley D. LaRonde'" <brad@ltc.com>
Subject: RE: Bye, bye, "generic kernels"
From: "Mike Klar" <wyldfier@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:26:28 -0400
Cc: <linuxce-devel@linuxce.org>, "'SGI Linux'" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> An additional idea is to hide all these details from Joe
> Average, based on
> assumptions from the machine and CPU type, but to make them
> available to
> developers.

That sounds a lot more appealing.  Joe Average might be able to guess R3000
core vs R4000 core, but only someone who has been following the kernel
development, or routinely settles down with CPU users manuals for pleasure
reading, will know that their shiny new MIPS-based handheld doesn't support
the LL/SC instruction pair.

As much as I think all users would benefit from a better understanding of
the devices that power their computer equipment, I don't think it should be
a pre-requisite for installing an OS.

Mike K.