Re: Bye, bye, "generic kernels"

To: <linuxce-devel@linuxce.org>, "SGI Linux" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Re: Bye, bye, "generic kernels"
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:53:16 -0400
>On 19-Jul-99 Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:
>> Off topic:  I'm wondering - why did I need to apply the R3000 patch for
my
>> R4000 processor build?  Is it just called the R3000 patch but really it's
>> more than that?
>
>Well, the VR4111 doesn't support ll/sc instructions and without the R3000
patch
>you will have no chance to get a working kernel.

Ah...  I see.  So in the mean time (until the fine-grained CPU configuration
is in place), for the Vr4111, should I pick R4x00 and then make sure that
CONFIG_CPU_HAS_LLSC is not defined (with the r2300_patch in place of
course).  Is that enough?

>> On topic:  I like the fine-grained CPU configuration.  By any chance did
you
>> include Vr4111 in there?
>
>Not exactly. I was more thinking along the lines of:
>
>"Hey, I have this wonderful CPU with an R4000 core (i.e. R4000 exception
>handling) but it doesn't support ll/sc instructions so use the R3000
variant
>for atomic operations"

Yes!  I'm with you and I like it.  Thanks.

Regards,
Brad