Bye, bye, "generic kernels"

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, linuxce-devel@linuxce.org
Subject: Bye, bye, "generic kernels"
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:41:45 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi gang,

I am planning to commit the R3000 changes to the CVS this week. In preparation
for that I have cleaned up some things and made the CPU configuration finer
granulated (if you want it) so that it will be possible to configure Linux for
CPUs with, for example, an R4000 core but without ll/sc instructions.

As a side effect it will be no longer possible to build "generic" kernels, i.e.
kernels that are able to work on R3xxx and R4xxx machines and you'll have to
choose at least the right CPU core.

Wanting to have "generic" kernels leads to major uglinesses like avoidable
indirect function calls and self-modifying code and I don't like that.

AFAIK only the DECstations will be affected and I can happily live with that
when it leads to cleaner, leaner and faster code.

Comments?
---
Regards,
Harald