Re: Booting Linux on Vadem Clio (really Vr41xx identity)

To: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Subject: Re: Booting Linux on Vadem Clio (really Vr41xx identity)
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:19:28 +0100 (BST)
Cc: <linuxce-devel@linuxce.org>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Bradley D. LaRonde (brad@ltc.com) writes:

> Also (with similar caveats), I notice that it is called a Vr4111
> (vs.  Vr3111), which leads me to reason that NEC probably considers
> it part of the R4000 family.

The Vr41xx CPU core is NEC's first attempt to implement a MIPS CPU (as
opposed to building a MIPS-designed CPU like R4400, or working as part
of a MIPS design team like Vr4300).

It is a clone of the R4000 architecture - a 64-bit CPU running most of
the MIPS-3 core instruction set.  The TLB is R4000-like, but then all
recent MIPS CPU TLBs are R4000-like, since anything else won't ever
run Windows CE.

I know it fails to provide the (core MIPS-3) instructions LL/SC,
because it's designers erroneously thought they were only useful for
multiprocessor systems.  Otherwise, it should be pretty compatible.

Dominic Sweetman
Algorithmics Ltd
dom@algor.co.uk